Tuesday 20 December 2011

Tracks of the Year 50-31

In 2011, I've probably listened to more music than in any other of my life. I seem to have it on all the time. I don't really watch TV any more, other than for the odd footy match, film or interesting documentary. So it took a while to whittle it down. I probably don't have the time to do a top 50, but I could have done a top 100 with plently to spare. I'm sure there's releases from the start of the year that my brain can no longer remember. That's not to mention the plethora of music from before Jan 1 2011 than I've enjoyed. Hope you enjoy the following...

(I've not included youtube/soundcloud as it would make the pages unbearably slow. Click on the track for a preview/video)

50. Omar S-Here's Your Trance, Now Dance (buy)

A quite magical ten minute epic from Omar S which set the scene for him in 2011, culminating in a full length entitled 'It Can Be Done, But Only I Can Do It' (humble yeah), showcasing some of his best recent releases (including this) and some excellent new tracks.

49. Intruder-Amame (Long Ass Mix) (buy)

Murk Records of the early 90s like Liberty City's 'Some Lovin' and 'That's What I Got' certainly found their place on the dancefloor in 2011, so smelling the renewed interest labelowners Ralph Falcon and Oscar Gaten re-emerged under an old name of 'Intruder' and delivered a stunning peak time 303 bomb.

48. The Dead Leaves-Harm (buy)

No new album for New York's finest The National this year, however if you wanted a fix turning to Australians' The Dead Leaves 'Harm' might have done the trick. Plagiaristic? Yes. As Good? Pretty much.

47. The Drums-I Need A Doctor (buy)

 The Drums quick fire release in 2011 may have had much of the same qualities from their 1st album, it did also highlight a much darker side sprayed all over the record, none more so than on 'I Need A Doctor'.

46. The Tortoise-Gonna Be (buy)

In 2011, Melbourne pushed itself forward as a major player in modern deep house/disco sounds. The Tortoise party house track 'Gonna Be' was one of many high points from the city which also included respected artists such as Tornado Wallace (Lewie Day) and Mic Newman (Fantastic Man). Another top notch release from 3rd Strike Records out of London.

45. Girls-Vomit (buy)

After the excellent ep 'Broken Dreams Club' in 2010, many were excited to hear what Girls would deliver in 2011. Whilst the album didn't hit the heights for myself personally, lead track 'Vomit' wasa clear standout with a slow quiet build up leading to a frenzied epic guitar solo.

44. Deep Space Orchestra-Riding in My Imaginery Jeep (buy)

DSO really emerged in 2011, with a successive of quality releases together with their own quality label Use of Weapons. 'Riding in My Imaginery Jeep' is tip top spaced out house music, with a nod to Germans Move D and Soulphiction.

43. Ron Basejam-Distant Voices (Hot Coins Remix) (buy)

Hot Coins aka Red Rack 'Em delivered a stunning remix here of Crazy P's Ron Basejam's Distant Voices. Finally pressed onto to vinyl this month, it's steady bass reminds me of the early hours of a balearic holiday.

42. Zodiac Free Arts Club-Floating World (buy)

Greek producer Argy moved away from his usual house output by creating Zodiac Free Arts Club, inspired by atmospheric krautrock of the 60s and 70s. Title track 'Floating World' hopes captures the psychdelic underground sound, and was a lovely journey into a largely forgotten era.

41. Owen-I Believe (buy)

Much of my musical taste now veers away from what Owen continues to release. However, the lush guitars and honest lyrics still turn my head, especially on 'I Believe'.

40. We Are Trees-I Don't Believe in Love (buy)

Sounding like Grizzly Bear without the really boring bits, We Are Trees completed their Girlfriend/Boyfriend EP set in 2011, with the bitter sounding 'I Don't Believe in Love' being a highlight. Lyrics like "I starts with a kiss, then ends with a bitch" displays good old fashioned indie-boy loser resentment.

39. Levon Vincent-No Regrets (buy)

Levon Vincent returned in 2011 with a couple of big releases and heavy, heavy tracks. I could have included all of his tracks of 2011 in my top 50 quite easily to be honest, but it was 'No Regrets' that was my personal fave.

38. Dive-Sometime (buy)

Straight out of the stables of Captured Tracks came member of Beach Fossils side project 'Dive'. No real surprises, just a shoegaze-harmony soaked number full of quality.

37. Wbeeza-Laying Here (buy)

House sound of London alert! Or some bullshit. Whatever. Quality house music from Wbeeza. Blogged about earlier in the year. Read all about it. The end.

36. Dorisburg-Emotion (buy) 

Top notch German deep house that I couldn't get enough off. From the excellent 'Family Horror' double LP from earlier this year. Recommended.

35. Zoo Kid-Out Getting Ribs (buy)

Mate of mine told me about this kid a while back, and hasn't shut up about him since. Pitchfork have gone on and on about this song (and the video) for a while. Don't bother with that shit, just give it a keen listen.

34. No Regular Play-Takin' U Back (buy)

Wolf & Lamb & Soul Clap were at one point beginning to take over the house world. Of course that didn't happen. But from one of the best mixes of the year, their combined DJ kicks, brought us this great tune from regular cohorts No Regular Play. Sexy music apparently.

33. Maximillion Dunbar-Polo (buy)


Lifted from probably the EP of the year for me, balearic, slowed down grown up house music. Or just some good sounds playing off a bit of wax.

32. Pygmy Lush-January Song (buy)

Low key indie-folk from Pygmy Lush. Underground as hell apparently. But with the internet is anything nowadays? Hints of the best of Port O Brien and Fleet Foxes.

31. Moomin-You (buy)

More German deep house again. There's just so much of it! Moomin's album was a beauty with so many highlights. The hypnotic loop and beat of 'You' ensured it ended the year as very high on my playlist counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment