Tuesday 22 February 2011

Maxxi Soundsystem-Criticize

I was slightly skeptical when I learned of Maxxi Soundsystem's reworking of Alexander O'Neal's classic 80s pop hit 'Criticize'. The original has been a guilty pleasure of mine ever since my dad drummed it into my ears at an early age and also by watching VH1 on heavy rotation when I was still in short pants. How wrong I was. They successfully have turned the original on it's head. Instead of old school synths and O'Neal vocals, we are treated to a peak-time banger that builds up slowly and gathers pace before dropping into a blistering house record. Like much of what's flying out at the moment, it's owes to the old school and classic house of the late 80s/early 90s which only adds to it's appeal. (buy)

  Maxxi Soundsystem - "Criticize" by Kojak Giant Sounds™

For those who prefer the original check out the 12" remixes release here.  This includes an acapella version too which always comes in handy.

1 comment:

  1. This was also covered by Marco Passarani here: http://www.discogs.com/Marco-Passarani-Fed-Up/release/401179

    ReplyDelete