Saturday 4 September 2010

Women

Women. The most ungoogleable band name ever? I remember when I first got into The National they were a right bitch to find. Now you type them in and it's the first result you get. Anyway, was fortunate to catch Women at the Deaf Institute the other night. I even got the opportunity to sit at the back up the steps (could be treacherous after one too many!). I only actually got into them recently when I found a dusty copy of their self-titled debut album in my brother's album collection. My brother hadn't even listened to it. Then I couldnt get away from them; new album and tour announced then the track 'Woodbine' was on some bloody TV advert. After a short time of difficulty locating anything about them on the internet, I learned they hailed from Calgary, Canada. Calgary was a place I was fortunate to study in for a year as part of my degree a few years back. Unfortunately I didn't really get the opportunity to get immersed in the local music scene. It was often far more easier to stop in and keep warm or stay local, rather than hop on the C-Train into town on a Tuesday night to check out a gig where the temperature was around minus 15. But there was always plently going on round Campus which included two venues (think Manchester Academy 1 & 2) for bands such as Interpol, The Dears and endless amounts of metal and middle of the road shite. Also had a really good deal every Friday called 'that empty space' where local and touring acts would play a short set together with couches and cheap beers. Was usually a great way to start the weekend and of course fuck off your Friday afternoon lectures. Certainly a place to visit, even if its just a for a couple of days before you hit the slopes.

Before the gig I hadn't heard anything off the new album Public Strain. So I'll share with you my favourite track off their 1st album. Their new album is out now and you can pick it up from Piccadilly Records at mid-price on CD and vinyl here.  Enjoy your weekend.

Women-Shaking Hand

No comments:

Post a Comment